“Man is a goal seeking animal. His life only has meaning if he is reaching out and striving for his goals.”
I love this quote and it’s definitely one that rings true (for me at least)… turns out Aristotle was a pretty smart guy! Cool story bro: I actually used this quote for the first page of my Master’s thesis.
2011 was a great year and while I don’t really have many regrets, I do have one that stands out clearly: not setting any goals. I’m not necessarily for or against setting New Year’s resolutions but it’s as good a time as any to re-evaluate the past and set goals for the future.
It’s pretty hard to believe that we’ve been in Ireland for two years now! Anyway, here are my goals (not resolutions) for 2012:
- Lose 30 lbs (I’ve probably gained close to this much weight since moving to Ireland…)
- Get 6-pack abs again (I would love to succeed at this goal!)
- Get up to 21 pull-ups (I think my previous best was 14 or so but I’ve regressed a bunch)
- Run 21 km (I’d love to run a half-marathon. My farthest distance up ’till now is only 6-7 km)
- Run a 6-minute mile (inspired by the Huck Seed 1-mile challenge from a while ago)
- Continue not eating junk food on weekdays (ideally, do this 6-7 days a week)
- Get 100k VIP points, Supernova status, on PokerStars (I’ve been Supernova for the last 2 years and would like to maintain it)
- Get up to and win at 100/200 LHE (I’ve taken shots at 30/60, 50/100, and 100/200 but I’d love to make them my main game)
- Play over 100k hands of online cash games (I only played ~50k hands last year)
- Start learning some of the other 8- or 10-game variants (I’d love to play a mix of flop games, draw games, and stud games)
As always, thanks for reading and best of luck with all your goals!